Posted: May 05 2016
We look at 5 ingredients that may potentially be dangerous to your heath. It was surprising to find that many companies continue to include these dangerous ingredients in cosmetic products. As safety & beauty become increasingly synonymous, we look at which ingredients you should avoid as you read labeling before a purchase.
1. Synthetic Fragrances (perfume) - much of the chemicals included in perfumes is proprietary information and is not disclosed in labeling. The danger here is that we really don't know what is being absorbed by our skin. Until those chemicals are disclosed in labeling they pose a risk.
2. Synthetic Color (dyes) - today only seven colors remain on FDAs approved list (this number used to be 80). Almost every decade, another color additive is eleminated due to health problem. Of the remaining 7 approved colors there is mounting evidence of anxiety, migraines, ADHD in children and possible cancer from long term usage. Advocates in Europe & USA are pushing for full ban.
3. Parabens - used primarily as preservatives for longer product shelf life. They may increase the expression of many genes that cause human breast tumor cells (MCF-7 cells). May contribute to sterility in males, hormonal imbalances in females & early puberty.
4. Benzoyl Peroxide - used mostly in acne products. Possible tumor promoter. Produces DNA damage in humans.
5. Diethanolamine (DEA), Triethanolamine (TEA) - these are found in foaming agents and are toxic. Shown to cause liver cancer and skin cancer in labratory experiments. It is also environmental toxin that has shown adverse effects to fish life over time.
For full list of our synthetic-free skincare products please visit: our best sellers!